Friday 17 May 2013

Lyd2 in Spur IIm / G scale...

The June 2013 issue of Continental Modeller has a drawing of the Romanian built Faur Lyd2 diesel. Now I have queries over it's accuracy as it seems a little short in some dimensions (bonnet, and some chassis details) but the wheelbase and cab are accurate.


Some time ago I pondered using the LGB HF130 diesel as a basis for a Lyd2 in G-scale. I contacted a few small scale kit manufacturers to see if they could help laser cut or mill some parts for me but no one was interested or the costs were prohibitive so I'm back wondering if it's possible to achieve a high standard in styrene with some etched brass overlays. 

With that in mind I printed out and then scaled up to 1:22 the Continental Modeller drawings as I have an electronic subscription to the magazine so I can download pages as PDF. I then cut one of these up to allow me to play with the proportions to better fit the chassis. Here you can see the result, and at the bottom is an unmodified drawing...

I think the shortening to better fit the chassis is a comprimise I'd be happy to make, so when the Kof is finished and I have some more modelling time I'll strip down the HF130 and make a start on the chassis.

No comments:

Post a Comment