Some photos in the afternoon sun with the newly acquired Piko railbus.
Wednesday, 28 September 2011
The Polish designed Px48, designed in 1948 (hence the designation apparently) were also sold to Romania, the CFR. It is these Romanian examples with small 4 wheel tender that have inspired the second Rugens kit bash idea.
This model is much more significant undertaking with major chance of destroying a wonderful LGB model - the well tank needs totally removing potentially leaving some of the motion support-less. Beyond that the cab will be removed and a new one fabricated along with tender. On the body the well tank is replaced with a higher running board.
The 0-8-0 tender engine might make more sense though for the EJ&KLR, in the sense that to increase tractive effort with increasing traffic after the war, especially timber, the railway needed new equipment. 0-6-0s were not powerful enough without being too heavy. An 0-8-0T would need big tanks and coal bunker and be too heavy for the lightly constructed bridges - the tender locomotive, despite it's increase in size reducing the capacity of the small run round loops offers the best of both worlds.
What do you think? Does Option 1, or 2 do it for you?
Tuesday, 27 September 2011
Sunday, 25 September 2011
The Piko model, for anyone wondering, is exquisite. Size wise it works fine next to the 1:22ish LGB Austrian stock, despite being about 1:27th, and a standard gauge prototype.
With 4 wheel drive and pick up plus 4 skates pickup even in bad weather should be good, and the trailer car, when used doubles that!
Saturday, 24 September 2011
The work has involved filling the vents, cutting and fabricating windows, adding an end door, smoothing off some other details, respray and then custom transfers.
I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. Initial inspiration came from Bruce of the Hill Head and Dales Light Railway conversion's along with the book 'Schmalspurig Durch Osterreich'.
I lettered her for the EJ&KLR as although it's a reasonable replica I didn't follow one prototype too closely.
Thursday, 22 September 2011
I've replaced the hand drawn doors in the station interior with some I printed out from the Internet. As the building will only be outside for operating sessions I'm not too worried about it curling, but did use a UHU type glue just in case.
I've also sprayed the van with two coats of satin dark green, which is now ready for some gloss varnish to be applied where I'm adding transfers tomorrow evening.
In other news I've bought a Piko railbus in the DB maroon livery which I'm collecting on Sunday.
Monday, 19 September 2011
You just know that in the summer though, with a low angle shot in the evening I'll regret it, still there is always photoshop!
Sunday, 18 September 2011
First up you can see another distraction, I dug out this Bachmann Class 66 the other week to see if I could re-kindle my 4mm mojo, slightly but it's not really returned, and I find the large scale modelling much more appealing and therapeutic.
So the van now has all four side windows cut out, a top plank added to each opening, and then a frame inside the new opening. Then I've also fabricated a new end door frame and door handle. To tie it all together and check the finish I applied a first coat of primer...