Wednesday 8 December 2010

Inspiration?

Countess coaling up
European coaches and small powerful steam locomotives on a picturesque line in mid Wales! The Welshpool and Llanfair has been a favourite of mine for many years - especially it's original steam locomotives with the GW rebuilt chimney, dome, safety valve and number plates. Chunky and purposeful.

I have wanted an LGB garden railway for pretty much my whole life - I think it was my best friend Tim's Christmas present when I was 9 that started it all, an LGB starter set. His Dad soon purchased an extra locomotive and some second track and I remember the last summers of Primary School spending ages in Tim's garden created our very own railway properly playing trains rather than the finer scale modelling we both were into with our OO layouts.

Fast forward twenty years and with Dad's retirement and Elly turning 3 this summer I'm in the mood for re-living those childhood memories, so I sit here with a 95% certainty that this project is a goer...

So the EJ&KLR (Elly, James & Keith Light Railway) is born... with an LGB Big Train set and a Liliput diesel shunter plus some extra track. Where this journey will take us I'm not sure, but I'm hoping for lots of fun playing rather than modelling :)

An exciting time - and I can't wait to share more with you all soon :)

Diema and The Wasp

2 comments:

  1. Oooh they're very useful - thanks! When I originally posted this 'blog' on RMWeb I didn't have my own photos to hand, and Wiki Commons seemed a good solution. Steve's photos are lovely, and I wish there was a RTR plastic robust model in G of 18/19 or Chevalier.

    ReplyDelete