Thursday 24 March 2011

Musing over the Frank S conversion...







I've been thinking a lot about my proposed bash of a Feldbahn tender tank into a representation of one of the post-war tank engine conversions (the majority of which were 0-8-0t - the KDL11). I've studied Bachmann models, LGB models and even considered much more drastic action - scratchbuilding. It hinges from will an 0-6-0t be acceptable?

Then I reflected that I didn't actually need to model a KDL11 per se - the OBB did inherit a number of 0-6-0TT after the war, classified 798.xx class. Not many but a few - now in Austria none of these were converted to tank engines - however, some in Germany were, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination. The KDL11 were OBB class 698.xx, and the tank engine conversions 698.1xx. This gave me an idea - perhaps I could number my model as a fictional 798.1xx?

Anyway I've sourced a possible donor engine - although it's a little more than I wanted to pay. Some soul searching in the next few weeks to decide whether I should leave this project until later in the year when I can justify the loco for my birthday... It hasn't stopped me tinkering on Photoshop and coming up with the schematics shown here - which show the W&L No.10 (converted from a KDL11) and the proposed EJ&KLR No.5 - which is smaller (a good thing for the space I have available) but actually it does seem to have just the right sort of character for me already. That's me 60% certain I'll be blowing some more cash in the next few weeks...



Just to share with you the inspiration for this all - the Middleton Press book is both cheap and quite inspirational (for me anyway) and shows so many train formations I want to model. This however is now top of the pile... 699.01 (later to become W&LLR No.10) on the StLB at Weiz 1958. My conversion can represent a similar engine, the coach can be based on a Zillertalbahn carriage (keeping my eyes peeled for that next), the van converted from a vented goods van and the flats/stake/open wagons all represented from items in the LGB catalog. It's just so filled with atmosphere it's crying out to be modelled!













D. Trevor Rowe from 'Austrian Narrow Gauge', Middleton Press 2003 www.middletonpress.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment