Monday 17 January 2011

Old memories of Llanfair again...

If you recall a few weeks ago I shared some photos my child hood best friend sent me over from an early trip to the Welshpool and Llanfair in 1991 (we think). Well whilst at home making arrangements for my Dad's funeral I've been digging through old photo albums and feeling all nostalgic.

I came across these two photos - taken at Llanfair on the same trip. They show Orion prior to it's restoration - or at least it looks that way - and a general overview of the station throat before the locomotive shed had been erected adjacent to the running line - the headshunt at that time used to store coaching stock (one of the Sierra Leone coaches can be seen in the siding roughly where the single road steam engine running shed stands now). It's funny, looking at them I remember the trip, but not the ride! I can't remember if it was the Earl that hauled our train, I expect so - but I do remember just enjoying being with my friend and his father - and talking endlessly about trains. I hope they help paint the picture further - and explain why these memories go so deep.


No comments:

Post a Comment