Tuesday 25 January 2011

Engine shed progress...

Well I braved the weather as it had eased off and got the wood cut out, test assembled and then marked out the doors and windows.

I've since glued this together using Evostik Exterior PVA. When it's dry I'll seal the MDF edges with dilute PVA, and apply some Sandtex exterior primer all over, apart from the top edges as I need to glue the roof on once the interior is finished.

The interior will get two coats of primer, and a black painted floor. The exterior will be chalk paint, all Sandtex smooth exterior paints. Once the base is dry I'll flip it back on to the base and sort out the roof, which will be 6pm MDF.

3 comments:

  1. Looks excellent James!
    I'm impressed by the accuracy of it and the chunkiness. I've got to use some MDF for a chair I'm making for my A level and seeing that has made me a lot more confident that it is a suitable material.
    What covering will you put on the roof? Roofing felt?
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad, but you are doing him proud I'm sure by carrying on with this project, especially with the precision you are showing.

    All the best,
    Jam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jam thanks! Yes roofing felt probably, belt and braces On the weather proof stakes and protoypical to boot! Top stuff!

    MDF is a lovely material to create with, it's crisp and produces strong products. Just play to it's strengths and mask it's weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks James, I'm looking forward to starting to make the chair now. I've only got until April though!

    I'm looking forward to the project progressing and will be interested to see what the loco shed looks like when finished.

    ReplyDelete