Wednesday 26 January 2011

Re-visiting an old friend...

I picked up a copy of Continental Modeller today, a Peco magazine. It's got to be at least 10 years since I bought one and I was very pleasantly surprised.

I was initially attracted by the Klein Arosa article, as it's rare to see G in a mainstream mag especially to this high standard. However the content beyond that article is lovely and the layout is so clean and refreshing.

I particularly like the Greek layout, it's very effective and the colouring is very convincing. I fond myself drawn to articles like this just by the quality of the modelling and sympathetic photography. The article on South African steam is also lovely to flick through and very evocative. I remember seeing similar images in a book I had as a child.

The reviews are very much Peco and are very positive, tending to avoid any unpleasantness. There are also two weaker layouts, a US behemoth (it would be awesome to have that space inside) and a European 'out the box' one with unmodified stock, kit or ready to plant buildings and awful trees! I'm pleased to say that these don't detract from the quality feel of the magazine and this issue in particular.

It's also lovely to have change from £4 and read a magazine printed on nice paper! Well worth it, go buy a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment